Monday, April 12, 2010

"Taste of Summer"



With summer just around the corner and the mild temperatures this weekend, AG and I decided to walk around the city to get a “ Taste of Summer” two months early. Official first day of summer is June 21st.

Growing up and having a birthday in the summertime, my parents had a special tradition just for me. Every year they would prepare my favorite birthday meal that included lobster, ice cream and fresh summer veggies grown in our backyard. The lobsters were from Jordan Lobster and ice cream was ALWAYS a cake from Carvel. My birthday lobster feast always included a side of homegrown zucchini seasoned with fresh herbs and a salad of vine ripened tomatoes that Mom grew in our backyard.

We wanted to take advantage of the warm weather so decided take a walk and recreate my annual birthday lobster meal NYC style. Here's a wrap up of what we did!

Eats:
Luke’s Lobster
http://www.lukeslobster.com/

Finally, a warm Saturday afternoon and no plans. I strapped on my favorite walking shoes and headed down to the East Village. We arrived at Luke's and there were only two people in front of me on line and we managed to find two seats. Score!!

I've been reading about Luke's and wasn’t sure to “believe the hype.” However, a co-worker of mine convinced me a few weeks ago to join her one afternoon. I am now a "believer" hype! I have been thinking about that lunch for weeks now and I couldn't wait for AG try one.

I ordered the schooner which includes one regular sized lobster roll, pickle, Vickie's chips and a choice of soda (my flavor of choice BLUEBERRY!) AG wasn't hungry and decided not to partake. But as soon as he saw my delicious lobster roll, his eyes widened and decided to order a snack size for himself. As we bit into the buttery, warm hot dog roll with the chunks of sweet lobster, we immediately felt like we were on a summer beach vacation.

Lucky Upper East Sider's will soon be getting a Luke's of their own in the former Bar Etats Unis space on 81st between 2nd and 3rd.


Berrywild
http://berrywildyogurt.com/
Oh Berrywild, you are one of the best things in our new neighborhood! Since I'm watching my girlish figure, I've indulged in ice cream less and less and have grown to love frozen yogurt during the summer months.

Berrywild is different from the new craze of yogurt spots (ie. Pink Berry) because they offer a line of "smooth" and "kinda icy" flavors. I prefer to mix it up and do a lil smooth mixed with lil icy! Some of my favorite flavors they have are the smooth banana and the icy green tea. They have every topping you can think of as well. You want cereal, they have it... Mochi? Check...

On this warm day, I chose the smooth dutch chocolate with the icy pomegranate. Topped it off with some carob chips. I ordered a medium with intentions to save half for later and instead polished off the entire thing while walking home. *Note to self, order the small next time. Walking home while eating my cup of frozen goodness reminded me of sitting outside eating my Carvel birthday cake! Now, if Berrywild made cakes, my upcoming birthday would be complete...

Shop:
The Upper Rust
http://nymag.com/listings/stores/the-upper-rust/
When you think of summer, you don't think of shopping at an antique store but I swear there is a method to my madness.

I've been obsessed with growing an herb garden at our beach house this summer and as we were walking around Tompkins Square park I spotted the cutest antique shop. On display they had some fantastic vintage wooden boxes and vintage inspired tins that look perfect to grow my summer herbs in. Check out the Upper Rust in the East Village for some great non-traditional planters to grow your summer herbs in. I cannot wait to grow fresh herbs and make some delicious veggies inspired by Mom's summer garden!


Craving to eat something that reminds you of summer? Tell me your favorite "Taste of Summer" treat and I'll send some suggestions your way! Email me at thegirltoask@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. That lobster roll looks delicious! I am sitting here staring at the pic and getting hungry. I need to go there.

    ReplyDelete